- Pilot at Ellon & District Primary Schools – huge support from teachers & parents
- Partnership formed with 8 Rotary Clubs (Alford, Huntly, Ellon, Turriff, Fraserburgh,
Peterhead, Inverurie, Banff) and Health Promotions.
- Committees created, Finance & Legal and Fund Raising.
- ALEC formed as a company & registered charity. Business Plan detailed £160,000 needed
to support a 3 year pilot; £120,000 of which to enable start up.
- ALEC Ball in Beach Ball Room raised £10,000.
- Mobile Classroom on show in Glasgow and Aberdeen at Rotary Conferences.
- £85,000 had been realised, of which £30,000 in covenants.
- Aberdeenshire Education & Recreation Dept on board.
- Application to Lloyds TSB successful. £37,000 in total. £15k in first year and £11k
in following 2 years to pay for Educator.
- Oldmeldrum Rotary formed, partnership now 9 clubs.
- Mobile purchased on HP. (A leap of faith)
- Educator, Lesley Shepherd (right) recruited, training completed by year end.
- Lord Lieutenant of Aberdeenshire agreed to be Patron.
- Mobile in Operation, Launched at Peterhead.
- GlaxoSmithKline, Community Health IMPACT Award, £25,000.
- Programmes delivered to 120 schools and 18000 primary school children.
- Rotarians from all clubs towed the classroom to all schools. A major logistical exercise
and a huge commitment.
- Evaluation by Aberdeen University confirmed added value to schools curriculum.
- Management Agreement with Aberdeenshire Education & Recreation Dept drawn up to enable
delivery to all Aberdeenshire Primary Schools.
- Steering Committee created.
- 2 more Educators recruited, salaries paid by council.
- 2nd Mobile classroom purchase from ALEC funds.
- Princess Anne visits Mobile classroom in operation at Huntly.
- Aberdeenshire Council agree to fund the annual operational costs and have the LEC
programmes delivered annually to all primary schools.
- 3rd mobile classroom purchased and launched in October 2010.
- Programmes delivered to EVERY Aberdeenshire Primary School pupil from Nursery to
- New smoking input for S1 delivered in all 17 Aberdeenshire Secondary Schools
- Presentation to Scottish Government Drugs Strategy Commission on the work of ALEC
- Ipads and apple TV introduced to mobile classrooms for increased effectiveness in
delivery of all programmes.
- New alcohol input for S2 being delivered in all 17 Aberdeenshire Secondary Schools
- Additional Support Needs programmes for Special Schools launched September 2013
- New Mobile classroom launched in April 2014.
- ALEC sessions delivered to all Nursery > S2 classes in Aberdeenshire. Over 28,000
• ALEC facebook page was launched in September 2014 and we joined Twitter in February
2015. Both updated regularly.
• bCyberwise programme on Internet safety was piloted in term 4. This will be officially
launched and rolled out in the new session.